Saturday, February 20, 2016

Judy Garland, Steve Allen, Mel Tormé American Songbook Medley

"The Judy Garland Show" included a wittily arranged and executed trio with three performers, each singing a separate medley of tunes, artfully interwoven and braided together @3:45:




A highly motivated youtuber by the moniker TheManThatGetsAway already reversed engineered the song titles for each singer's medley. The closed captioning keyboard exploded in places, so I transcribed the tidbits of lyrics from each song as bet as I could make out:

Ain't Misbehavin' (Judy) /
 With lyrics by Andy Razaf and score by Thomas "Fats" Waller and Harry Brooks

"No one to talk with
All by myself
No one to walk with
But I'm happy on the shelf
Ain't misbehavin'
I'm savin' my love for you"

Sung by Sarah Vaughan:






Makin' Whoopee  (Mel)/
Gus Kahn

"Another bride, another June
Another sunny honeymoon
Another season, another reason
For makin' whoopee"

Sung by Ella Fitzgerald






The Glory Of Love (Steve) / 
Billy Hill


"You've got to laugh a little, cry a little
Before the clouds roll by a little
That's the story of, that's the glory of love"

Sung by Dean Martin:




Way Back Home (Judy) /

Al Lewis and Tom Waring

"The trees are the sappiest
The days are the nappiest
The dogs are the yappiest
The kids are the scrappiest
The jokes the snappiest
The folks the happiest
Way back home"


Sung by Bob Crosby:







Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams (Mel) /
Harry Barris

"Your castles may tumble
That's fate after all
Life's really funny that way
No use to grumble
Just smile as they fall
Weren't you King for a day"


Sung by Bing Crosby:



You Took Advantage Of Me (Steve) /
Lorenz Hart

"I'm so hot and bothered that I don't know
My elbow from my ear.
I suffer something awful each time you go
And much worse when you're near."

Sung by Rosemary Clooney:



Mean To Me (Judy) /
Ahlert, Fred E./ Turk, Roy

"It must be great fun to be mean to me
You shouldn't, for can't you see
What you mean to me"

Sung by Billie Holiday:



The Girl Friend (Steve, Mel) / 
Rodgers and Hart

"Isn't she cute?
Isn't she sweet?
An eyeful you'd die full
Of pleasure to meet.
In my funny fashion
I'm cursed with a passion
For the girl friend!"

Sung by George Olsen:



Tip Toe Through The Tulips (Judy) /
Joe Burke

"Tiptoe through the window
By the window, that is where I'll be
Come tiptoe through the tulips with me"


Tiny Tim w/his ukulele ruined this song for ever and all time:




 Truckin' (Mel) /
Rube Bloom; Ted Koehler

No, Mel Torme did NOT sing the psychedelic Grateful Dead version:







"We had to get something new
A dance'll do up here in Harlem.
So someone started truckin'"

Sung by Ivie Anderson:




Gypsy In My Soul (Steve) /
Clay Boland and Moe Jaffe

"I've  got  to  give  vent  to  my  emotions
Cause I'm  only  content having  my  way"

Sung by Doris Day:




Nice Work If You Can Get It (Judy) / 
George Gershwin


"Just imagine someone
Waiting at the cottage door
Where two hearts become one
Who could ask for anything more?"


Sung by Frank Sinatra and Peggy Lee



The Glory Of Love (Steve) /
Billy Hill

"That's the story of, that’s the glory of,
That's the story of, that’s the glory of,
That's the story of,
That's the glory of love"


My Heart Stood Still (Judy) / 
Rodgers and Hart

"I took one look at you
that's all I meant to do 
and then my heart stood still! "


Sung by the Mamas and the Papas:





Let's Do It (Let's Fall In Love) (Judy, Steve, Mel)/
Cole Porter

"Some Argentines without means do it
People say in Boston even beans do it
Let's do it, let's fall in love"


Sung by Louis Armstrong:




And in case the above Judy Garland Show video link breaks, here's a cludgy recording:


No comments :

Post a Comment