Sunday, April 13, 2014

Random Bible verses in Secular Films and Secular Music in Sermons and the Kentucky Derby

I surprised when I watched "Secretariat," the film about the Kentucky Derby winning horse, that it opened with a Bible quote from Job  39:19-24

1 9 “Do you give the horse its strength
or clothe its neck with a flowing mane?
20 Do you make it leap like a locust,
striking terror with its proud snorting?
21 It paws fiercely, rejoicing in its strength,
and charges into the fray.
22 It laughs at fear, afraid of nothing;
it does not shy away from the sword.
23 The quiver rattles against its side,
along with the flashing spear and lance.
24 In frenzied excitement it eats up the ground;
it cannot stand still when the trumpet sounds.




Conversely, Fr. Cedric in his sermon on Mark 1:35-39


Jesus Prays in a Solitary Place

35 Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. 36 Simon and his companions went to look for him, 37 and when they found him, they exclaimed: “Everyone is looking for you!”

38 Jesus replied, “Let us go somewhere else—to the nearby villages—so I can preach there also. That is why I have come.” 39 So he traveled throughout Galilee, preaching in their synagogues and driving out demons.

"Prayer is Dangerous"





mentioned that his personal theme song is "There's Got to Be a Morning After"



which, unbeknownst to me, is from the film "The Poseidon Adventure". I was familiar with the song from FM Easy Listening radio and was unaware that it had ever been part of a film soundtrack, though it also seems to have been subsequently referenced in "South Park" with backward lyrics to ward off succubi:






Fr Cedric also said that he liked a Gospel song he described as "Thank You Jesus for Just Getting Me Up" which I couldn't find. Possibly he was referencing "I Just Want To Thank You" with lyrics:

He woke me up this morning
And started me on my way
I've got food to eat, shoes on my feet
And He let me see another day
Thank You for being so good





Fr Cedric also mentioned that he liked to go on retreats at the New Camaldoli Hermitage, which I had also never heard of. It's located by the beach in  Big Sur, California and apparently run by ecumenical post Vatican II hippy monks according to yelp reviews.





I thought that this was the oceanside location for the fictional St Francis Retreat in the "Perry Mason" episode "The Case of the Renegade Refugee". However, that was the Serra Retreat in Malibu, California instead, which, apparently still hosts corporate retreats according to yelp, and, hopefully, no Perry Mason murder mysteries.

The Big Sur, California monks apparently make brandy soaked fruitcake.  However, there is also a monastery in Trappist, KY (who knew there were so many monks in America?) who make Kentucky bourbon soaked fruitcake.  So, next month, to be ecumenical, you can chow down on a dessert plate of various alcoholic fruitcakes after sipping Mint Juleps and watching the Kentucky Derby with some Kentucky Fried Chicken, and, of course, wearing an awesome hat.


No comments :

Post a Comment