Friday, April 24, 2009

Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg

There's apparently a typo on the Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg road signs. Mr. Abrahamson provides a translation of the lake's name. He also provides a link to the song about the lake (which includes all the lyrics, but not a bouncing ball) that originally was made popular by Fred Waring and his Pennsylvanians Orchestra.

I wanted to study in a Russian foreign exchange program when I attended Arizona State. The first one I happened upon was through the Music Department and entailed participating in a singing tour across Russia. When I spoke to the professor in charge & volunteered that I grew up in Pennsylvania, he responded that "Pennsylvania was a very choral state." I had never heard such a thing, but I suppose he was thinking of Fred Waring. I eventually opted for a non-singing program at the University of Leningrad/St. Petersburg, so I didn't get to show off my Pennsylvanian choralness to my European cousins, or sing about any New England multi-syllabic lakes.



UPDATE

Somewhat ott, but my overseas trip to Russia/USSR/CCCP would entitle me to the NPR name of Sacrah Tallinn.

No comments :

Post a Comment