Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Isaiah 40:31 Quoted in #HacksawRidge

The Bible quote from my Bible cover:
















 Isaiah 40:31 


"but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."














is quoted in the beginning of the film "Hacksaw Ridge"





The film is a biopic of the life of  Cpl Desmond Doss, a conscientious objector who who refused to carry a gun, but still enlisted as a medic in the US Army during World War II: 




The film explores the reasons for Doss's pacifism, part of which stems from his understanding of his religion's teaching (he's a Seventh Day Adventist), and part seems to stem from his family history of domestic violence.


Back to the Bible, Isaiah 40:31 was also adapted into a hymn by Father Jan Michael Joncas:




But the sheet music only credits Psalm 91 as the source material:






which seems true of the verses, but the title and refrain certainly look like they were inspired by Isaiah 40:31

Verse 1 = Psalm 91:1-2
You who dwell in the shelter of the Lord
Who abide in His shadow for life
Say to the Lord
"My refuge, my rock in whom I trust!"

Refrain:
And He will raise you up on eagles' wings
Bear you on the breath of dawn
Make you to shine like the sun
And hold you in the palm of His hand.

Verse 2 = Psalm 91:3-4
The snare of the fowler will never capture you
And famine will bring you no fear
Under His wings your refuge
His faithfulness your shield.

Verse3 = Psalm 91:5-7
You need not fear the terror of the night
Nor the arrow that flies by day
Though thousands fall about you
Near you it shall not come.

Verse 4 = Psalm 91:11-12
For to His angels He's given a command
To guard you in all of your ways
Upon their hands they will bear you up
Lest you dash your foot against a stone.


Compared to 

Psalm 91
1Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.a
2I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”
3Surely he will save you
from the fowler’s snare
and from the deadly pestilence.
4He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
5You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
6nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.
7A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.
8You will only observe with your eyes
and see the punishment of the wicked.
9If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,”
and you make the Most High your dwelling,
10no harm will overtake you,
no disaster will come near your tent.
11For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;
12they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
13You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
14“Because heb loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15He will call on me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honor him.
16With long life I will satisfy him
and show him my salvation.”


And to be completely ecumenical, here's Isaiah 40:31 sung in the original Hebrew, I'm guessing because I have no way of fact checking:


No comments :

Post a Comment