Tuesday, September 23, 2014

#TheGoodWife operatic interlude "O mio babbino caro"

I obviously disagree with this tweet:


because as a former band nerd, I always pay attention to television shows background music.

There are obviously other music nerds, to wit (yes it's "wit" not "whit"),  Christophe Caron Soriano who takes the original audio, strips out the actors' dialogue yackity yacking, and posts the music soundtrack:




"The Good Wife" Se6Ep1 "The Line" episode opened with an instrumental song whose title I couldn't remember:


TuneFind wasn't helpful because it only goes to season 5.

HeardOnTV was also not helpful because apparently they don't list classical music on soundtracks (I thought).


At first I thought the song sounded like Liszt - Liebesträume in A-Flat Major, Dreams of Love 




Then I thought it vaguely sounded like the theme to "Upstairs, Downstairs"




then my neurons fired and my Carl Sagan "Cosmos" binders opened up:






and I vaguely recalled a Classic Arts Showcase clip which I incorrectly remembered (I'm not the only one) as "O Bambino" but is actually "O mio babbino caro" from "Gianni Schicchi" composed by Giacomo Puccini




Youtube if very polite and spellchecks you without overtly judging you on being culturally illiterate:















Then, it further dawned on me I could try to corroborate this answer by double checking attributed songs from the last episode from last season: Se5Ep22 "A Weird Year"




and they helpfully remind people that this song was also featured in the historical Brit flick "A Room with a View":



However, they neglected to point out that it's the same song Woodstock whistles for Peppermint Patty's ice dancing program in "She's a Good Skate, Charlie Brown " when her taperecorder malfunctions:




I agree with Joseph Ryan's critique of the then ten soulless people who voted the Snoopy video down:



and more recently, "O mio babbino caro" made a cameo in "Gotham":







Conversely, answering "O mio babbino caro" on the New York Philharmonic buzzfeed quiz: "Which Fierce Female Are You?"
















helps one to be described as NY Phil fierce female, Maria Callas:


















And thus it would only make sense to end with a Maria Callas performance of  "Oh Mio Babbino Caro" uploaded by Daniel Kurganov:

No comments :

Post a Comment